Of all the Vedic scriptures, Rig Veda is considered to be the oldest existing script. Vedic scholars believe that Rig Veda is the basis of all other Vedas.
Rig Veda is divided into ten parts called mandalas. Each mandala has a number of suktas and each sukta has several mantras. Each mantra is a combination of several words, clauses and phrases that are tightly interwoven. Hence the understanding of the mantras need specialized training and orientation. Mantras in the Rig Veda provide knowledge (jnana) to humankind. The primary aim of jnana is to attain the state of Brahman.
• Total Mantras in Rig Veda: 10,552
• Total Mandalas: 10
• Total Suktas are 1028
• Main Shakhas: Shakala and Baskala
• Main Samhitas: Aitareya, Kaushitaki and Baskala
• Main Brahmanas: Aitareya and Kaushitaki
• Main Aranyakas: Aitareya and Kaushitaki
• Main Upanishads: Aitareya, Kaushitaki and Baskala